Four Victorian Gymnasts in Commonwealth Games Team
Gymnastics Victoria are proud to announce that four Victorian athletes have been selected on the Australian Commonwealth Games Team across all three Gymnastics Commonwealth Games sports.
Women’s Artistic Gymnasts Alexandra Eade (NCE Melbourne) and Emily Whitehead (Waverley Gymnastics Centre), Men’s Artistic Gymnast Luke Wadsworth (Men’s High Performance Centre) and Rhythmic Gymnast Alexandra Kiroi-Bogatyreva (Prahran Rhythmic Gymnastics Centre) make up part of the 13 person Gymnastics Team.
Upon being named in the team Men’s Artistic Gymnast Luke Wadsworth expressed his excitement about competing in front of a home crowd.
“It’s an honour to be named as a part of a Commonwealth Games Team for a second time,” said Wadsworth.
“I’m excited to be a part of the younger team and we’ll all be looking for a good result at a home Commonwealth Games in Australia.”
Members of the Gymnastics team will be looking up to both Wadsworth and former NCE Melbourne Women’s Artistic Gymnast Georgia-Rose Brown who will be attending their second Commonwealth Games as well as Rhythmic Gymnast Danielle Prince who will be attending her third.
Today Australian Team Chef de Misson, Steve Moneghetti, commended all members of the Gymnastics team.
“Congratulations to the gymnasts announced in the Australian Team today,” Moneghetti said.
“We saw some great performances from the Gymnastics Team in Glasgow and I’m sure we will see the same with the Team at the Gold Coast.”
The full Australian Commonwealth Games Gymnastics team is:
MEN’S ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS (MAG)
• Michael Mercieca (QLD / QLD MAG High Performance Centre)
• Mitchell Morgans (QLD / MAG National Centre of Excellence – Canberra)
• Christopher Remkes (SA / MAG National Centre of Excellence – Canberra)
• Michael Tone (QLD / QLD MAG High Performance Centre)
• Luke Wadsworth (VIC / VIC MAG High Performance Centre)
WOMEN’S ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS (WAG)
• Georgia-Rose Brown (QLD / QLD WAG High Performance Centre)
• Alexandra Eade (VIC / WAG National Centre of Excellence – Melbourne)
• Georgia Godwin (QLD / Delta Gymnastics Brisbane)
• Rianna Mizzen (QLD / QLD WAG High Performance Centre)
• Emily Whitehead (VIC / Waverley Gymnastics Centre)
RHYTHMIC GYMNASTICS (RG)
• Alexandra Kiroi-Bogatyreva (VIC / Prahran Rhythmic Gymnastics Specialist Centre)
• Danielle Prince (NSW / Le Ray Gymnastics Academy)
• Enid Sung (NSW / Le Ray Gymnastics Academy)
The Commonwealth Games will take place on the Gold Coast from Wednesday 4 April until Sunday 15 April. Women’s and Men’s Artistic Gymnastics from Thursday 5 April until Monday 9 April and the Rhythmic Gymnastics will run from Wednesday 11 April until Friday 13 April. Both competitions will be held at the Coomera Indoor Sports Centre.