Victorian Government Training Restrictions – 12 May
Here is a Gymnastics Victoria summary of the key information from the Victorian Government about restrictions easing during May and what it means for gymnastics clubs.
Victoria will begin to ease restrictions from 11:59pm on Tuesday 12 May. These new restrictions and a renewed State of Emergency will be in place until 11:59pm on Sunday 31 May.
In terms of Sport and Recreation, the following information is relevant for gymnastics to be aware of:
- Indoor sports / physical recreation centres are still prohibited from opening;
- Indoor sport exercise is not allowed, unless it is practiced at home or via online sessions/classes;
- Indoor sports remain prohibited as there is an increase in the risk of transmission while exercising in an enclosed space.
The opportunity for outdoor training has been assessed based on the government advice and information from our insurers. Gymnastics clubs can conduct modified training outdoors after 11:59pm on Tuesday 12 May provided they follow the below instructions to be covered by insurance:
• Adhere to the relevant common-sense health restrictions, i.e.:
- Anyone with a cold/flu/cough/sneeze/etc. symptoms or feeling unwell should not be in attendance
- a limit of 10 people
- non-contact (so no spotting/massaging/aided stretching/hands-on position correction)
- maintaining distancing of at least 1.5 metres between participants, and
- ensuring use of any shared equipment is minimised and cleaned before, during, and after use
• Follow the limitations on training specified in the fact sheet produced for ensuring insurance coverage (for club and coach benefit, as well as the participant): https://www.gymnastics.org.au/uploadedfiles/Training_During_Shutdown.pdf
• As a practical matter, record who is training and when (in case of a need to trace participants, should it arise – so consider encouraging downloading of the COVIDSafe app if not done so)
• And of course, ensure appropriate child safety measures as you would inside your gym.
While unlikely that any participants will have contracted and recovered from COVID-19, it is recommended that any athletes returning to gymnastics training should seek suitable medical clearance: COVID-19 has multi-system effects (including circulatory systems), and so before someone undertakes any vigorous exercise they should be given the okay by a doctor.
Further information and recommendations about Sport and Recreation in Victoria can be found here.
For the latest update from Sport and Recreation Victoria with regards to Return to Play within current health rules click here.